Monday, September 04, 2006

Computers also catch the cold!!!

Till friday night, my laptop was running fine. As usual, I slept very late - it was weekend ahead - How could I have slept before 2 a.m.? The next day, I got up around 1 p.m. and the first thing I did, was to switch on my laptop. The OS started and asked for the password to login. I entered it with half-closed eyes and pressed the Enter key - but what the hell! - nothing happened. Then I re-entered it and again nothing happened. I thought probably, I am still sleeping and all this is happening in my dream. I rubbed my eyes again and tried to enter the password and was also now sure that I am awake and actually pushing the keys. I realized that I was pressing the keys but nothing was being typed on the monitor. I tried pressing some other keys - nothing appeared to work. The keyboard of my laptop was dead.
I shut down the laptop and restarted it - maybe it had some problem while startup. No use - keyboard was dead - no arrow keys, no tab, nothing working except the on/off key. I couldn't even enter the CMOS settings - it also requires F10 to be pressed.
After trying for sometime, I realized that I'll have to call some serviceman. Desktop PC is fine - I have opened it countless times - its nut and bolts - every chip - everything inside it. There was a time when my room was filled with desktop components littered all over the place. But laptop is another thing - I didn't want to open it myself.
It was raining heavily on saturday, so no serviceman was ready to come. On Sunday it was a holiday, so everyone said that they can come only on monday. In the meantime, I tried to run the laptop many times. Nothing seemed to work. I even put my laptop upside down for 4-5 hours thinking that probably the plate below the keys had been dislocated and it might correct itself. A silly thing to think and do, but anyway - What was the harm in taking the chance? As expected - it didn't work.
On monday, I had to goto office and I didn't want anyone to open the laptop in my absence, so the serviceman could come only after my return from office in the evening.
In the office, my office desktop machine, started shutting down on it own - without any warning or anything - whenever it felt like. By afternoon, it refused to even start. That had to be sent to hardware department for repair. Hardware guy have not been able to correct the problem so far.

In the evening, when I came back from office, the first thing to do was to call the serviceman. He was't there, so I tried to start my laptop again and to my utter surprise, its running fine since then - no problem - touchwood. Infact, I am typing my post on the same very laptop and using its very keyboard itself.

The latet theory is - "mere laptop ko thand lag gyi...delhi me ekdum se thand hui to bechara mera laptop zhel nehi paya. Ab dhere dhere usne adjust kar liya hai".

Well , I am thinking of asking my office hardware guy to keep my office desktop m/c in a warm place for a few hours - probably thats the main problem with it too. Hehehaha



10 Comments:

At 3:54 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hello hello! Coming here after a long time and what do I see? A post very similar to my woes with laptop! Thand lag gayi..lOl my thinkpad recently had a very opposite problem! Usko garmi lag rahi thi..it was overheating and the fan wouldnt let the system start...and it would only start sporadically..so I got a chillpad for it and it has worked fine..abhi thand lagti hai toh kya hota hai kya pata? ;)

 
At 9:21 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ohh lappy ko thand lag gaye thee........sweater razai nahin hai kya aapke lappy ke paas ?? :P

 
At 11:52 am, Blogger Gaurav said...

Hmmm...Laptops and Mobile handsets are two of the most unpredictable things on this planet...after females ofcourse!!
;-)

 
At 1:12 pm, Blogger Pinks said...

lol...gud post..

 
At 1:22 pm, Blogger Anks said...

lol @ laptop ko thand lag gayi!!!

 
At 6:08 pm, Blogger Navjot Kashyap said...

@Kaushie
Aap aaey hamarey blog, khuda ki kudrat hai - kabhi ham apke msg ko kabhi apney blog ko dekhdey hai... bhut dino baad darshan diey ...aatey raha kijieyey..

 
At 6:10 pm, Blogger Navjot Kashyap said...

@mehak
Haan - ek special rajai banvata hu .. lappi ke liey .. lol//

 
At 6:11 pm, Blogger Navjot Kashyap said...

@gaurav
might be ...

 
At 6:19 pm, Blogger Navjot Kashyap said...

@pinks
Thanks

 
At 6:22 pm, Blogger Navjot Kashyap said...

@anks
Haanji - ab theek ho gya hai...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home