Thursday, May 11, 2006

The Kite Runner -by Khaled Hosseini

Just completed read it. In 3 days flat. Some friend of mine gave it to me to read, saying that it was a nice novel. Although I was a little skeptical as he himself hadn't read it. But, he insisted that its reviews were good, so I thought of giving it a try atleast.

The first 20-25 pages were quite boring and I kept wondering - Why the hell I was putting so much effort in trying to read it? At that time I never even dreamed of completing it - the story wasn't moving much, infact it was not going anywhere at all and moreover because it was set up in Afganistan, I wasn't able to relate much to it. Finally, I decided that I will read a few more pages and if I didn't start liking it, I'll dump it.

But slowly the story begin to pickup and just like the old wine has its effect slowly but surely, this story also kept me hooked and I couldn't leave it till the bottle was empty - I mean till it was completely read. All the characters are built very beautifully and its not like a Hindi movie that they are black or white. Everyone is in shades of grey, some less, some more. Moreover, there isn't anything extraordinary like the hero alone killing hundreds of people in the Hindi movie Gadar - everything in it appears real life like. Probably thats why I liked it more. Its pretty emotional in parts and the author has been able to express the emotions very well.
Highly recommended if someone likes reading emotional novels.

6 Comments:

At 4:16 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read 'The Kite Runner' few months back n simply loved the book.
Its a great/Must read...and I recommed the same to all my friends.

 
At 10:33 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have read some very great reviews on the book. And urs just adds to it. Will definitely read it!

 
At 11:51 am, Blogger Anks said...

have read a lot about this book.... and generally when i read a book that i have read a lot about, the book turns out to be a disppointment.... wonder if this will be the case with this one too.....

by the way, have you read shantaram???

 
At 1:07 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'll read it:)

 
At 8:51 pm, Blogger Navjot Kashyap said...

@mehak
Yes! indeed its a very good read
@DJ
Try it! Its a good one
@Anks
Well!Its not an out of the world book.. just a good one ..so don't have very high expectations from it ..
@Red ji
Good good .. after reading .. tell me How it was..
@SM
A nice coincdence ...Okie .. read this book fatafat se ... & tell me How it was?

 
At 2:31 pm, Blogger ambrosia said...

Hi,
I have just finished reading and writing about The Kite Runner, one of my recent reads that I just could not put down until I read it full. I just came down to see what other bloggers feel about it when I chanced upon your blog. The book is so much about relationships and you are right in saying that the characters are people one can identify with coz they appear in shades of grey - this is more so exemplified by the character of the "hero". I ablolutely loved his honesty to state his shortcomings and weave it into the narrative. The book leaves me with a typcial feeling which comes after having read something so good - will I ever get anything as good! :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home