Friday, October 21, 2005

Workaholism

There a strange thing about us youngsters these days. Workaholism is a disease thats engulfing us more and more with every passing day. And yes, I am not a spectator in it, I myself actively participate in it. I don't know, what makes most of the guys crazy about work, including me. See at my office, most of the guys, stay late till 9.30 p.m. everyday or even later and are on their desks at 9 a.m. the next day also. Doing work, work and work - as if nothing else mattered in life, and maybe it even doesn't. Most of the Saturdays are also spent in office and if not there, the weekend goes in sleeping and performing other essential life dragging tasks.

No, its not just me - its not just people of my office, this disease is prevalent in almost all of the software companies - all over India. When we were in college, we used to dream, dream a lot - that once we get a job and have money - we will enjoy. That will be life man - we will have money and all the worldly pleasures will be on our feet. But, that seldom happens in reality - you might have got all the money that you might have dreamed of - but you never get much time to spend it. Somehow - some other things start controlling your life.


" Competition!!!
Thats what its all about..... and especially if you are in the IT industry...where things change every minute, if you don't catchup and keep yourself up to date - you will be left behind!

And I guess... thats the fear in your mind and in the minds of all ur workmates and others in this industry....." -missnupur

Well right I guess. The reason is absolutely right. I started remembering a reading somewhere - It went something like this - A very wealthy person who had worked like a mad dog in his whole life was on in his death bed and someone asked him - "What he wished for?" He said that - I wish I had spent more time with my wife, with my family, with my friends. I always wanted more money, the more I had - the more I wanted. Every year I wished that after this year I will slow down, spend time with my wife, with my kids, but that year never came.

To put things in right perspective, I have been working in this IT industry for the past 6 years now. Earlier I was just a workaholic like others - mad about work. I think I also have the record of maximum hours spend in office in a month, but that was long ago. Now, I have started having doubts about all this workaholism and mad race. There is no end to it. You cross one ladder, then try to jump to he next one - madness goes on. Trying to search meaning of life - what's it all about. No clues, nothing.. totally blank....


"hi there, competition is everywhere in every field because new things and new innovations are being made everyday. But like you said, it is indeed important to slow th epace down..question is how? Its hard once you get on the bangwagon to get back off. Like nupur said, hard to catch up once you get off." -kaush

Yeah, exaclty - Its like saying to a runner, who has been winning one race after the other - "slow down man, let others also win".

3 Comments:

At 1:00 pm, Blogger Nupur said...

Competition!!!
Thats what its all about..... and especially if you are in the IT industry...where things change every minute, if you don't catchup and keep yourself up to date - you will be left behind!

And I guess... thats the fear in your mind and in the minds of all ur workmates and others in this industry.....

 
At 7:52 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi there, competition is everywhere in every field because new things and new innovations are being made everyday. But like you said, it is indeed important to slow th epace down..question is how? Its hard once you get on the bangwagon to get back off. Like nupur said, hard to catch up once you get off.

 
At 4:26 pm, Blogger Admin said...

To me, its all about prioritising. What you want at the cost of what. and sometimes it also happens one takes it too easy when the project get started and only start to rush through things with late nights when the delivery date loom nearer. if only we could spread out our task evenly.. But yeah I do understand what you are trying to say....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home