Friday, May 27, 2011

IABPD continued....

Feeling is Everything'. That's the quote with which one of my batch-mates used to sign-off all his emails. It might just be 3 words but have a very profound meaning. Most of the things we do daily are related to feelings, either the cause or the result or in some other way related.

I can go on rambling about quotes and dialogues till eons and eons.


That makes me think, I have always liked anything beautiful and collected various beautiful things throughout my life so far - beautiful in my eyes. I have always liked heart-tugging, beautiful words, sentences, paragraphs, poems, thoughts, lyrics,and other similar literacy works. When I was a kid, I used to write down any beautiful,heart-touching lines I came across, in a diary and treasure that diary.It was always a wonderful experience to sit down and read the diary once in a while, especially when I was sad or otherwise in low mood. It was an instant mood elevator in those times. Otherwise too, it was always a great read.

I also used to collect pictures, photographs and articles of exotic places, wildlife, natural beauty, cars, bikes and anything and everything that looked beautiful to my eyes. Back then, there were no digital cameras, mobile phones and other electronic gadgets or accessories by which you could capture pictures easily. Personal computers were hardly found in any house and the world 'Laptop' was totally unheard off in those times. So, cutting the pictures and articles and storing them in a file or folder was the only option and probably the only known way, The major hunting grounds were the daily newspaper and the old second hand magazines, which were available at dirt cheap prices in the nearby market. I used to always scout for those cheap and easy preys, whenever I went to the market.


The newspaper - 'The Times of India' used to be black and white then, but once or twice in a week, there used to carry out additional pages - magazine sections like wildlife, nature, cars etc, which were delightfully colored and the paper used for printing them was thick, smooth and glossy, making them an ideal hunting ground for my expeditions. I used to eagerly wait for those days and in the mornings of those days, as soon as the newspaperwalla used to throw the newspaper at my doorstep, I was over it, enthusiastically hunting for my preys. But, I couldn't kill the prey on that very day itself. I had to painstakingly wait for the next day to do that - my dad would had killed me with his bare hands, had I made big rectangular holes in the current day's newspaper. The next day, the newspaper was all mine to play with and with a big scissors having orange colored handle, mercilessly, I used to make big glaring holes in the paper and was always satisfied and happy to hold that butchered pages high in the air and see through them.


The cutout sections went into an Arts file specially saved and devoted for that very purpose only If you are of my age group or older, you might remember that, we used to have a thick cardboard made, hard, glossy from the outside, roughly about one and a half feet wide, 10-12 inches long and about one inch thick - Arts file. In that we used to store white drawing sheets which were of slightly smaller length and breadth then the file itself.Some of them had small triangular silver metallic edges.Files with those sort of edges were always preferred from those without them, for a very simple reason. Edges of those type of files did not crumple with daily use and wear and tear of the file Needless to say, you had to shell out one or two rupees extra for getting those types.


Both the file and drawing sheets had two holes in the middle-top to hold them together. A long thread - always green in color and with shiny metallic-silver colored endings was used to hold the sheets and the file together. There was a very subtle nuisance involved with tying the sheets and the file together, if you had covered the Arts file with brown paper. If you tie the knot of the thread outside the file i.e. on the cover, then you will have to dig two holes in the brown paper over the file cover, and if you do that, very soon you will find that due to daily use - the paper has torn at the places you had so efficiently dug holes, and even sooner then that, it has spread like a wildfire all over and the brown cover of your beloved arts file requires a replacement. In order to avoid that, the best way was to always tie the string on the top of the drawing sheets itself, inside the top hard cover of the Arts file.


To be continued.....
milte hain break ke baad...isi channel per...tring...tring..tring..ding...dong..ding...
Keep Smiling...

4 Comments:

At 9:29 pm, Blogger kiran sawhney said...

I was transported to my childhood and memories of those files and black and white newspaper.

 
At 11:11 am, Blogger Navjot Kashyap said...

2Kran
Nice. Why don't you share your childhood memories then.

 
At 11:43 am, Blogger Anks said...

hey, i used to keep cuttings of newspapers too! :) i'd keep paintings that i cud redo.... u're taking us all back in time....

 
At 7:17 pm, Blogger Navjot Kashyap said...

2Anks
Thanks for visiting my blog and the comment. It means a lot to me. Nice to know that you too kept newspaper cuttings.
Its good to sometimes go back and watch, the us we were, years ago.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home